Dry Eye / External Disease Treatment
Find relief from dry, itchy, irritated eyes.
Dry eyes affect millions of people in the United States. It is estimated that as many as 4.88 million Americans over the age of 50 suffer from this uncomfortable condition.
If you need expertise medical care, book an appointment at Eye Medical Group. We’ll help you find a treatment option that brings you the relief you are searching for.
What are the common symptoms of dry eye?
Everyone experiences dry eye differently because there are so many potential underlying causes.
Typical symptoms include:
- Redness or eyes that appear irritated and bloodshot
- Consistent burning or tingling sensations in the eyes
- Eyes that feel itchy or as if they have something in them
- Increased sensitivity to bright lights or sunlight
- Excessive tearing, or eyes that always appear watery
What causes dry eye?
There are many potential causes of dry eye.
In some cases, the cause is obvious, such as environmental irritants or short-term inflammation.
Some of the other causes of chronic dry eye problems include:
- Disease of the meibomian glands including: Blepharitis. Blepharitis is compromised meibomian glands, glands at the base of the eyelashes that become clogged.
- Defects that affect the eyelid or shape of the eye
- Certain medications
- Deficiency of aqueous fluids
Because the underlying causes vary, treatment methods after diagnosis will also vary according to the patient. It is also not uncommon for there to be more than one cause for dry eye.
How is dry eye diagnosed and treated?
Through imaging of the meibomian glands, measuring osmolarity of the tear film, and screening for certain conditions, we are able to diagnose and provide treatment for the condition.
Some of the typical treatments include:
- Prescription eye drops to combat inflammation
- Treating oil glands
- Adequate eyelid hygiene
- Punctal plugs insertion by your eye physician at Eye Medical Group
If an infection is causing the issue, low-dose antibiotics may also be prescribed.
Dry eyes are not only uncomfortable — they can also be detrimental to the health of your eyes. Book an appointment at Eye Medical Group.