Comprehensive Eye Exams
It’s about more than just blurry vision.
Eye exams are vital to your overall health.
In addition to assessing your visual acuity, your eye doctor will examine the health of your eyes and assess any eye diseases
Chronic medical conditions including diabetes and high blood pressure are often first detected during an eye examination.
Don’t put it off — schedule your comprehensive eye exam at Eye Medical Group today.
What does a comprehensive eye exam include?
Your eye doctor will determine what tests are needed based on your medical history.
However, most comprehensive eye exams include the following:
- Visual acuity to test the sharpness of your vision, usually with an eye chart
- Visual fields test to assess any compromise of your peripheral vision.
- Retinoscopy to estimate your eyeglass prescription.
- Refraction to determine your exact eyeglass prescription. At Eye Medical Group, we utilized advanced digital refraction which provides enhanced precision and accuracy.
- Slit lamp Examination to detect common eye diseases and conditions
- Retinal photo to identify and document retinal pathology including diabetic retinopathy
- Tonometry to assess for any risk for glaucoma
- Optical Coherence Tomography (OCT)
- Ophthalmoscopy to assess the optic nerve, retina, and blood vessels for any ophthalmic condition.
How often should I get a comprehensive eye exam?
Most eye care professionals recommend yearly eye exams. But it depends on your age, risk factors, medical history past ocular history, family history of eye disease, and whether or not you wear corrective lenses.
Studies have shown that children should have their eyes examined at 6 months old, three years old, at the start of school, and every two years until age 18.
Adults should have a comprehensive eye exam every two years for ages 18 to 60 at minimum and annual exams for seniors age 61 and older.
What about contact lens exams?
A comprehensive eye exam typically does not include a contact lens fitting. So you may need to schedule a separate contact lens exam.
Just let us know when you schedule your appointment, and we’ll make sure you are taken care of.
Make healthy eyes a priority in your life and in the lives of the ones you love. Schedule a comprehensive eye exam at Eye Medical Group now.